Sunday, January 18, 2015

Finally here!

At 10:05am home time, Mr. Man and I boarded our first flight.  This adoption seemed to take forever (but isn't that what always happens when you want something now?) In reality, we started the process around 8 months ago which is shorter than our first adoption process and that one wasn't Hague. 

We ended up leaving early for the first flight and because of that, we were 45 min early into Newark airport.  We already had a 6 hour layover, so 45 minutes really seemed to add a lot more waiting.  We ate lunch at a nice steak restaurant.  They had I-pads at every table for ordering.  It was pretty strange to not give our order to a person. lol  This is our "waiter."  I do have to say that my Philly steak sandwich was probably the best I have ever eaten!


 
Our flight to Frankfurt was rather uneventful.  I sat beside the sweetest German guy who talked my ear off during most of the flight.  It was a good thing though, because my TV monitor was not working.  It got to be quite funny.  During the course of our 7.5 hour flight, they reset the monitor about 8 times.  It would get to the point of letting me choose something and then it would freeze.  My new friend beside me felt bad.  Hubby even offered for me to use his.  I was thankful that I brought my portable DVD player and a couple Celtic Thunder DVD's.  I can't sleep on airplanes so between my chatty friend and my DVD player, everything worked out well. 
 
I am so easily entertained.  Bill thought I had lost it when I waved out the window as we were flying over Ireland. :)  One day, I will fly to Ireland, but that is another story.
 
 
 
Another 3 hour layover in Frankfurt and we made it to our last flight.  It was oddly satisfying hearing our boys' first language spoken again. We have learned a few words over the years and being able to pick those words out is strange.  At one point (at our gate), they made an announcement.  I was able to pick out the word for the number one and kind of deduced that our departure gate had changed.  Or maybe I just think that I deduced it because they did the announcement in English just a minute later and I was tired.  :)
 
Going through passport control here was the easiest ever.  The woman helping us was having an intensely enjoyable (to her) phone conversation.  She didn't even look at our pictures but just flipped to the back to stamp the passports.  With both of our other adoptions, they grilled us about why we were traveling to Serbia (and why we wanted to adopt).  People here just don't seem to understand why Americans want to adopt from Serbia.  Our driver, Z (who is one of our favorite people in the world!), picked us up and was really happy to see us.  We dropped our luggage off at our apartment and a quick trip to the grocery store left us with some basic dinner ingredients...eggs, bratwurst and bread for toast.
 
So, right now, we are relaxing and trying to keep ourselves awake until a reasonable bedtime.  Actually, that's a bit of a fib.  Hubby is relaxing....I went and snuggled down in bed for about an hour.  Praying that when I finally go to bed for the night, I actually sleep. 
 
I was going to make some banana bread for our Ministry appointment.  We had been told that our appointment was Tuesday, but, we found out (after we went to the store), that we might be having our Ministry appointment tomorrow.  So, we aren't 100% what is happening.  We trust Z to have us where we need to be when we need to be there.  He's calling the Ministry tomorrow morning.  So, there is a slight possibility that we might meet our girlie tomorrow.  I'm not really getting my hopes us about it, but the possibility is there.  Tomorrow, I will end up writing up a bit of a post about her.....basic stuff anyway.  I just realized that I hadn't given any details about our little one yet. 
 
The feeling being back here is completely surreal.  The "long" process seems now to have flown and we are so close to seeing her face in person.  I cried when I put the boys to bed the other night realizing it was the last time I would tuck only 2 kids to bed in our home.  We are being blessed with a little girl.....can you believe it?!
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

 
 

 
 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated. Be nice or your comment will never see the light of day. :)