Saturday, January 24, 2015

First full day

J slept pretty well once we got her to sleep last night.  She whimpered a couple times during the night, but I almost wonder if that is normal for her because she didn't seem to wake up.  I guess I was pretty tired too because I slept until 10:30.  I think the only reason I woke up was because Hubby came in and grabbed my toe to wake me.  He wanted me to see how she was positioned.

We originally put her on our bed.  We thought that we could just have her sleep between us, but she turned out to be a sprawler.  In a closet downstairs, we found some old couch cushions.  They are normal cushion width but are about 5 feet long.  We brought one up and moved her to that.  During the night, she migrated so that her head was using the cushion as a pillow and most of her body was on the floor.  Hubby thinks she might have been warm (she sweats a lot during sleep) and the floor was cool.  Either way, it was pretty funny to see. 


She slept for another half hour or so.  We are thankful that she is a rather heavy sleeper.  Our moving around in the room didn't wake her.  We are also thankful that she did not get upset when she did wake up.  She let me pick her up and was content to sit on the couch as I made breakfast.  I was a little worried that she wouldn't eat because she doesn't eat much when she is nervous or stressed.  I made two scrambled eggs and toast and sat down beside her to eat.  I offered her a bite of egg and she took it!  Bite after bite!  She even took a little toast although I don't think she liked the strawberry jam I had put on it.  I can safely say that she ate nearly an entire egg as well as close to half a piece of toast.  She must have eaten until she was full because when I offered her a cookie afterward, she said no.  She is learning to hold her own cup.  Her foster mother always fed her as well as held her cup.  I think she will learn quickly that it is better if she holds her cup because then she can drink whenever she wants. 

Z came to get us around 1 to take us to the grocery store.  She was hilarious.  As soon as she saw Z, she said, "Tata!" and put her arms up for Hubby to take her.  Apparently, when Z is around, Daddy is the preferred mode of transportation.  She also wanted Daddy to take her out of the car so I got to carry the groceries into the apartment.  Z said that I got the easier part of the deal because groceries don't squirm. :)

Around 2pm, she started rocking on the couch.  Just a few minutes and her eyes started to close.  I should have just left her alone, but I tried to have her lay down.  That was a mistake.  She got angry and started crying.  The potential nap was destroyed. :( 

She wanted to watch cartoons on the TV in the bedroom.  I'm sure she is super anxious so giving her some space seemed like a good idea.  She had not wanted any part of lunch, so later in the afternoon, I went in and handed her a cookie as well as a small bag of ketchup flavored potato sticks (my favorite snack in Serbia!)  She just sat with the cookie in her hand and looked at me, so I left the room.  The next thing I knew, she was munching on the cookie with her other hand in the bag of chips.  I had an inspiration.  I made a plate with some cut up oranges, bread, pickles and some egg and took it into the room.  She yelled, "NE!" and pointed her finger indicating she wanted me to leave. lol!  I did, and she ended up eating quite a bit...unless, I looked at her.  If she saw me looking, she would put the food down. Quite the stubborn child we have on our hands.

She was so excited to Skype with her brothers today!  She chatted on and on to them.  Both of them just sat and giggled.  I don't think they knew what to think of her talking and their not understanding.  I am excited to see the three of them together.  She is going to have them wrapped around her finger just like she has with Daddy. 

When it was time for bed, I changed her into her jammies.  Like I have said before, she does not like changing clothes....I think it is the whole not liking transitions thing.  Anyway, she was happy to change tonight.  I think she really likes her new pj's.  I let her watch cartoons for a few more minutes.  When I asked her if she was ready to go to sleep, she patted the bed.  I went to lay down and she got angry and scooted her body to the other side and patted the spot beside her.  I settled in beside her and she put her hand on my neck and moved my head  until our foreheads were touching.  Then, she put her hand on my face and closed her eyes.  I rubbed her back for maybe 5 minutes and she was sound asleep.  There were no tears, no anxiety, nothing.....I was amazed that she showed me exactly how she wanted me to put her to bed.  The foster family had told me that Baba lays with her as she goes to sleep.  I believe she had me do it exactly like Baba.  I can't tell you how amazing that was!  She was able to communicate with me and I was able to understand.  I believe we took an enormous step forward today in the trust department. 

As you can see, your prayers are doing wonders!  God has truly blessed us!!


1 comment:

Comments are moderated. Be nice or your comment will never see the light of day. :)